About this report or communique
Report of the Auditor-General No. 3 of 2020-21: Expressions of interest for tourism investment opportunities
The objective of this audit was to assess the effectiveness of the EOI process for the development of sensitive and appropriate tourism experiences and associated infrastructure in Tasmania’s national parks, reserves and Crown land by private investors and tourism operators.
The scope of the audit was limited to the tourism developments submitted under Round 1 and Round 2 of the EOI process from June 2014 to October 2019. State entities that were included within the scope of the audit were:
- Department of State Growth (State Growth), including the Office of the Coordinator-General (OCG)
- Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment (DPIPWE), including the Parks & Wildlife Service (PWS).
The audit did not examine:
- tourism developments in Tasmanian national parks, reserves and on Crown land that were approved prior to the commencement of the EOI process on 21 June 2014
- tourism developments on Crown land that were approved prior to the commencement of the second round of the EOI process on 17 December 2016
- tourism developments in Tasmanian national parks, reserves and on Crown land approved post 21 June 2014 that have been subject to an alternative public tender process
- tourism developments subject to PWS’s own application and approval processes and which are not subject to the EOI process.