About this report or communique
Report of the Auditor-General No. 6 of 2020-21: Management of the State road network
The objective of the audit was to assess whether the Network was being managed and maintained effectively and efficiently.
The audit examined whether:
- planning for management of the Network was effective
- the Network was managed effectively and efficiently
- risks impacting the Network and stakeholder expectations were managed effectively.
The audit examined and analysed information relating to the performance of the State Roads Division (State Roads) within the Transport Services Group (TSG) of the Department, and specifically the maintenance and management of the Network.
The audit scope encompassed the five categories of roads within the Network for which State Roads is responsible. The audit scope did not include:
- management of bridges
- management of heavy vehicle access
- management of traffic operations and signals
- roads managed by other State entities including Hydro-Electric Corporation, Sustainable Timber Tasmania, Parks and Wildlife Service within the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and the Environment and local government councils
- services and uses of the Network, or broader integrated transport strategies of which roads may form a part.