About this report
Report of the Auditor-General No. 8 2018-19
Student attendance and engagement: Years 7 to 10
This independent assurance report is addressed to the President of the Legislative Council and the Speaker of the House of Assembly. It relates to my performance audit (audit) on student attendance and engagement in Years 7 to 10 in Tasmanian Government schools.
The objective of the audit was to form an opinion on the effectiveness of the Department of Education’s (DoE) management of student attendance and engagement in Years 7 to 10.
The audit examined information relating to full-time and part-time students in Years 7 to 10 at Tasmanian Government high schools over the period 1 January 2014 to 31 December 2017. However, some of the data collected related to 2018, including the school visits.
Work undertaken for this audit was limited to government schools.
Throughout this Report, unless otherwise specified, all figures and graphs represent data for government schools only with the following definitions used:
- ‘Tasmanian schools’ means all Tasmanian Government high schools
- ‘high school’ means any school teaching Years 7 to 10
- ‘public school’ means a government school
- ‘year’ means calendar year
- ‘parent’ means a person who has care, control or custody of a student
- ‘student’ means a person enrolled in school
- ‘Year group’ means the cohort of students enrolled in any one Year or Grade of school e.g. Year 7 or Year 8
- ‘Years 7 to 10’ means all students enrolled in all four Years 7, 8, 9 and 10.
Where average figures for Australian jurisdictions overall are used, the data represents Australia as a whole and includes all states and territories including Tasmania.